Yasss!! If you have loose curls to corkscrew curls (hair types 3a - 3c), you are in the right place! Here are some tips & hacks for curly hair care routine. These tips will give you some guidelines on how to get your curls healthy! Figure out what techniques work the best for you and what products does the trick 👌.
Wash routine step-by-step
Curly hair from type 3a to 3c tends to be very dry and coarse, thus it needs much more added moisture to keep up with the required hydration level than a wavy hair does. Check here our tips and product suggestions and get your curls popping!
- Shampoo only once or twice per week. As said, curly hair is naturally very dry. Over Shampooing your hair would lead to even drier hair and eventually to breakage and split ends. Try to shampoo your hair only 1 to 2 times per week and while at it, only shampoo your scalp, where the hair is the oiliest. Additionally, aim to use sulphate free shampoos to avoid stripping your hair from its natural oils.
- Pre-poo your hair with hair oil or conditioner. A pre-poo treatment is when you apply conditioning treatment or hair oil mask to your hair prior to washing with shampoo. It helps to moisturize your hair and gets it prepared for the wash day process. Leave your pre-poo treatment in for 30 minutes to a couple of hours, or even over the night, before showering it off. You can use pure oils like coconut oil or you can try our Coily hair oil, which includes ingredients that are known for their moisturising properties. To create a “super pre-poo” treatment, you can apply few drops of the Coily hair oil to your conditioner and let the mixture work its magic.
- Use deep conditioning in regular bases. Deep condition, deep condition and once again deep condition your curls! To restore moisture to your hair, deep conditioning on regular basis is crucial to curly hair. Choose a deep conditioner that is right for your curl type. If you have very dense and dry curls, go for a heavier product and vice versa, If you have fine hair, look for products that are described as "light". When you are applying the deep conditioner in the shower, Pay special attention to the tips, which tend to get drier than the rest of your hair. Finger detangle or use a wide-toothed comb to distribute the product evenly. Meanwhile finishing with your other shower routines, let the treatment sit at least 10 min before rinsing the product off.
- Co-wash your hair with conditioner. Co-washing simply means conditioning your hair in the shower without shampooing it at all. This is particularly beneficial to curly hair, as it needs much more added moisture than straight hair. Again, it is important to choose the right product for you. Not only what curl type you have, but what is your hair porosity plays an important role as well. For low hair porosity, look for Protein-free conditioners to easy up the entry of the product into your hair shaft. For high porosity hair, look for conditioners that are highly concentrated with the moisture and natural oils and to retain the moisture, use a sealer such as our Wavy hair oil.
- Follow the LOC method. LOC is an abbreviation for leave in conditioner, oil and cream. By applying your curly hair products in this order you can maximize the moisture retention. This method works best for high porosity hair, where the products tend to escape easily from the large pores on the hair strand.
- Let your hair air dry. The best way is to let your hair air dry all the way. However, if time is precious and you must use a hair dryer, use it always with a diffuser to help to evenly disperse the airflow. To minimise hair damage and frizz, set it on cold air and low speed. Whilst drying your hair, scrunch your curls to help with curl definition. After your hair is 100% dry, use an afro pick, tooth comb or why not your fingers to lift extra volume on your hair. Lift mostly from your roots and be careful not to create fizz on visible areas.
- Try the pineapple method to preserve your curls between wash days. After you have achieved amazing bouncy curls, by following all these curly hair care tips, the next challenge is to preserve them frizz free and defined until your next wash day, and for some curlies, this might be in one week. This is when the pineapple method comes in handy. For the night time, gather your curls into a very loose and high ponytail that only the back and side part of your hair will be touching the pillow. Next morning just simply let down your hair and shake your head from side to side to make the curls settle down from the pineapple. Do not brush the hair in order to avoid frizz. And voilà! You are once again more than ready to rock your curls!
I hope these tips get you started! I know it sounds like a lot, but really it is up to you what kind of routine you want to create for yourself 😉. Just make sure to use deep conditioning on regular basis and use low heat or no heat at all to maintain healthy hair.
If you have already found out good products that suit well for your hair type or other techniques to define your curls, please feel free to share them on the comment section below ⬇️ Sharing is caring ❤️
LOC method from NaturallyCurly
My Big Curly Hair Routine (how to use an afro pick) from Bwatuwant